Monday, April 28, 2008

The World We Live In

The World We Live In
In a world
Where we smoke to feel free
Where we drink to forget what we did
Where blaming others for our mistakes is the normality
And raping 9-year-old girls is the reality
We still manage to be happy.

In a world
Where if you have 1 you want 10
Where if you were born girl you want to be a man
Where moms slit their babies’ throats
And the real values are fading behind banknotes
We still consider ourselves humans.

In a world
Where if you were healthy you should be grateful
Where having a family should mean being lucky
Where dreaming should be consider as the biggest gift
And every breath should be enjoyed for what it gives
We shouldn’t be complaining,
but living.
J.Apo.B.

The poem was written by Jacopo, a blogger I recently became acquainted to. I very much like it because it's very raw and honest though some might percieve it as dark, it's time to come face to face with the real world now.

Jacopo's Inspiration:
Here I am, so....I wrote "The World We Live In" on a friday night here in San Francisco. It had been a long time that I had in mind the first 3 lines (In a world Where we smoke to feel free Where we drink to forget what we did) when on that friday I was randomly thinking, daydreaming, as often happens to me and I start thinking about our world, with all our beautiful and horrible things. Especially dreams, I'm a dreamer, therefore I consider dreaming "as the biggest gift". On the same day, my roommate was shooting his movie project about the people, the human being, and a couple of hours before I had watched an interview to Johnny Depp who talked about breathing, how we forgot how valuable breathing is. So, it was a mix, a set of thoughts lived in the same day that led me to write this poem.

PS/ Apo, I agree with the breathing part. More often we take things for granted. We are too obsess with the bigger picture that we forgot to look closer at each pieces of the puzzle.

No comments: