Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hockey Wives

Astro has been broadcasting live hockey games from the Hockey Champion Challenge - Women Baku in Azerbaijan. Six teams played in the tournament Korea, China, England, USA, New Zealand and the home team. All I can say is...What the heck happen to New Zealand?? They used to be a dark horse towards the race to the top of the women's hockey ranking (in my opinion) They didn't even qualify for the Women's World Cup last year so I got the slightest hint of their progress at that time. But now, its really really disappointing really. For a national team of their calibre you don't really expect them to not keep up with their reputations. They used to be sixth in the world ranking but now they are on the eleventh spot. So you do the maths!! Bwoh atu marah! But yeah!

Well, I don't expect them to stay up all the time but to fall to the 11th spot from the top 10 does say something about the development of the team. Does it really? Take Australia or Argentina for instance, they used to top the ranking now occupied by the Dutch but they are still a force to reckon with. And they don't go that far neither by filling in the 2nd and 3rd spot. Anyways.....I am still a fan of the Black Sticks.

So the story goes like this..haha! Ada jua like this nya atu.but anyway when the Black Sticks play I usually look for one player......their striker whom I believed is a litte under-rated for her skillful dribble and excellent work rate. So I was trying to find her on the pitch, but its hard when the cameraman didn't agree with you most of the time. By the way, this player Provan usually play in the left wing and dribbles in the ball deep near the base line.

So there was this one player who does that a lot in the matches but everytime she has the ball, the commetator mentioned the name Claxton....to my dismay! I thought darn! they are dropping her for this tournament again??!! But then I saw the jersey number! No. 8! No! I said to myself that couldn't be right. That number belongs to Provan. And then I saw a close up of the player and she is Provan! So did a little thinking and I remembered vaguely that Claxton sounds a lil familiar. Turns out, Provan who is now married to her then boyfriend Claxton chose to use the latter name. Anyway, so pumpkin! Provan is now married! And so is Skirving but Skirving still use Skirving which I'm glad. She has a reputation with that name. Hehehe! Anyway selamat pengantin baru to the both of you. Maybe you live long and produce little hockey playing babies. Little black sticks vs. Little hockeyroos huhu!

Ayte, that's all. I'm off.

We learn something new each day...........

No comments: