Saturday, October 14, 2006

A Dream Within A Dream

This is one of my favourite poem. Why? Cos until now, I havent really fully understand it...hahaha! Its difficult to comprehend wat the writer is trying to say here. Nonetheless, it is an excellent piece of work, like, his mind must be like sooo up there in the poetry world.

A Dream Within A Dream
Take this kiss upon the brow! And, in parting from you now, Thus much let me avow- You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream. I stand amid the roar Of a surf-tormented shore, And I hold within my hand Grains of the golden sand- How few! yet how they creep Through my fingers to the deep, While I weep- while I weep! O God! can I not grasp Them with a tighter clasp? O God! can I not save One from the pitiless wave? Is all that we see or seem But a dream within a dream?

-Edgar Allan Poe

I think this poem is about life...and how life is something that we can never understand...and that we are losing more and more time. And maybe the writer is writing about his life...maybe he lost something or watever. I think!...so I might be wrong. The statement "All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream" is a very interesting one indeed. From what I can understand is that, what we see or seen is real, and so it is something and not a dream within a dream, where this is something not real, vague and seems so distant. But again, could he meant otherwise? Is life just a dream? Maybe it is, maybe when our time has passed in this world and we woken up from our long slumber and live for eternity, wouldn't our life now be a distant dream? Whatever it is......Allah is the Greatest.

So, if u have something to say on this...please feel free to counter or support what I said :)

Excuse me....

No comments: